Monday, November 21, 2011

Indie Travel - Favorite City

What is your favorite (or least favorite) city and what do you love (or hate) about it?


I'm one of those travelers that is in love with the planet I guess. I can't think of a single city I don't like, and can think of many I'd go back to anytime.


For ease of getting around, Denver is probably the least favorite. You must have a car there or you miss most of the interesting things to do. Public transportation in cities in the west is mediocre to non-existent. Denver is getting better as people discover the joy of riding a bus to work but for the unfamiliar traveler, long waits are sometimes in order as buses aren't that frequent.


For driving, Albuquerque is hands down the most dangerous. In California, all the bad drivers are long dead. In Albuquerque, they're still on the road and out to get you. I've driven in Boston, LA, Washington DC, Seattle, Salt Lake City, Denver, Phoenix, you name it. Albuquerque is the worst. People routinely speed and run red lights. Lane integrity is an unknown concept. I lived there for 17 years. Best green chile in the world is available all over the place and in the fall, when the chiles are roasting in rolling cages over open flames and the smell fills your entire body, there's just nothing like it. It's my soul food and soul smell. 


For food, Salt Lake City is the most bland place I've ever eaten. But that said, it has one of the finest sushi restaurants in the country. I Love Sushi, downtown near the Temple. 


For poverty and lepers begging and touching your feet in supplication, almost any city in India will suffice. Yet, great street food, beautiful temples, colorful markets and the friendliness of most of the people are evident everywhere as well. 


Check back in a couple of years, after I'm finished with the round the world trip. I may have a favorite city by then. But I kinda doubt it. 







No comments:

Post a Comment